I’m being forced to reveal some dark and dreadful secrets….they start with a piece of my next book ‘When Water Burns’ because I’ve been tagged for the Lucky 7 MEME by Lan at ‘The Write Obsession’
The rules are:
1. Go to page 77 of your current MS.
2. Go to line 7.
3. Copy down the next 7 lines ( sentences or paragraphs) and post them as they’re written.
4. Tag 7 writers and let them know.
Thanks Lan! ( I think.)
So here’s a piece from page 77 of ‘When Water Burns’.
One of the most disconcerting things about being the ungifted daughter of a telesa, is having your mother grow old – and remain ageless. While an increasingly worn face and grey hair greets you in the mirror. As a taulasea, natural healer, Salamasina well knew all of the concoctions which the telesa drank to help retain their youthful looks and yes, there were years long ago when she too had brewed them for herself. For vanity’s sake. But there is an ingredient for true telesa youth which could not be replicated. Power. Fanua ola. The life force of our mother earth. Every time a telesa called on her mother earth to unleash her gifts, that same power coursed through her veins with a rejuvenating effect. Renewing tired cells. The more a telesa used her gifts, the stronger she became. The older a telesa, the more potent her gifts. And the more hauntingly youthful was her beauty.
Which is why, when Salamasina answered the sharp knock on her door that morning, and saw the woman who stood there, it was like seeing a ghost from her past. A face unmarked by time.
The face of her mother.
Seven MEME Questions have to be Answered as well…
1. What is your dream vacation? An air conditioned 5 star hotel with superb room service that’s right next to a gigantic shopping mall and my Kindle loaded with all the latest books from my favorite authors. And not a single child anywhere. ( Sorry Fabulous 5. For some strange reason, you are never included in my perfect vacation dreams…I wonder why?)
2. Are you spontaneous? Or do you like to plan? I do like to write a lot of lists. They make me feel organized. But truthfully, I get all my bestest ideas for projects/events etc the night before. Or that day. Then I run around like a headless chicken on crack to make it all happen.
3. One thing you want to do, but don’t dare do? Get a tattoo. Like a malu. And maybe something on the back of my neck. And on the inside of my forearm. Behind my left ear. On my lower back. I can dream, right?
4. What’s your biggest phobia? Snakes. And attack dogs that bite unfit
fat chicks who don’t run fast enough to escape them.
5. If you were stranded on a desert island, what 3 things would you want with you? (not incl yr laptop or family.) My Kindle, Diet Coke and Hermione’s magic bag of camping survival tricks.
6. Name three blessings in your life. My family. The sacred opportunity to be a mother. (Nothing tests me or teaches me more.) And my skinny legs. (they are great diversionary tools)
7. What was your nickname in high school? Mata lulu. Translation – Owl Eyes. (And trust me, there was nothing kindly, endearing, or cute about it…)
8. If you could meet the President of the US what would you say to him? You’re amazing but I would really love to meet your wife. Is Mrs Obama around?
9.If you could be any literary character for a day, who would you be? Lady Macbeth. Just because she connects with my inner psycho fierce bad-a** self.
10. A favorite quote? “No person is your friend who demands your silence or denies your right to grow.”
Thank you Lan and Gossip Girl for the fun MEME. And now the funnest bit…tagging some more writers! If you dont have 77 pages yet then pick page 7…or 17…or 27…
*Sophia the Writer
*Seti Matua at LeFolauga ( Come on Seti…I dare you! Just a few lines from pg 77…you can do it!)
*Maryanne Pale ( I know you’re not writing a book but would LOVE to have you share some of your poetry for this MEME feature…seven lines even?!)
*Alica McKenna Johnson
*Julianne Dodd (Hopefully the fun hot bits are on pg 77…)
Have fun people!
20 thoughts on “Dark and Dreadful Secrets AND When Water Burns – pg 77”
Gasp! LOVE page 77! Terrible teaser, Lani. (And no, I am not commenting on this post just to prove that I pay attention to the non-tattoo posts. As much as I love tattoos. Got tattoo?)
You DO have variety on your posts–love 'em so far!!
Ha ha! the tattoos lured you and have brought you back to the dark side of the blog force…
omg…major teaser…just cant wait for the book…..
I'm in the middle of revisions for Devil Dog, and I haven't even looked to see what is on page 77, but I accept the challenge. This will be fun, I love games. Might take me a couple days, but I'll see what I can get done soon. Love the quotes. I bought Telesa and it's next on my TBR list. Can't wait.
oh the pain and agony as i wait for when water burns!!! this teaser is salt on the wound!!
Hey Lani, when will the second book be released?!? Can't wait!
What a great piece! Okay I accept the challenge 🙂 Hopefully tomorrow my home interwebs will be up and it will be easier to post! LOL, and for your questions number 8- I agree I would love to chat with Mrs. Obama!
Hi Lani,Wow that is definitely a teaser haha! Can't wait for your 2nd book to come out. Exciting indeed! 🙂 Thank you for tagging me in this. Although I'm not writing a book, I will definitely share 7 lines from a new poem that is almost finished and I'll also answer the 7 MEME questions hehe! Loved your answer to question number 8 LOL!Much love xox
this is AWESOME! love this idea. sounds like someone else's POV? interesting 🙂
Yay! I'm so glad you decided to participate! I'm hoping you're almost close to finishing When Water Burns (Have I mentioned how utterly incredible I think this title is? I can't seem to come up with anything half as good!. Amazon is really a marketing machine. None of us can get stranded on a desert island with our Kindles!
Haha!!! I'm in love. I cant wait til the book comes out. Like cant cant cant wait!!! I'm gonna say what my dad always says when he wants me to hurry up. "As soon as you get a chance, hurry up!!!"
This is an absolute TEASE! You wonder what happened 76 pages earlier. Looking forward to the release of book II Lani. Yay Salamasina is still around – I have a soft spot for the name. Yes would love to meet Michelle too.
Kai lava Lani….ur juss kill'n me here!! lol So makua Teaser this one!!!
just finished reading Telesa!!!! Thank you thank you thank you!!!!! Telling all my bc gals and more.
You must torture as a side hobby! I can't wait to read the second book! I am going nuts waiting!Sally from the North
I agree with the above comment. It's definitely a torture no that I don't want to read anything else but the second book. Lol. Please release soon:)
When Shall this TORTURE END!!!! lol I am dying for the sequel to Telesa!!!!! ❤ it
Hi Lani, just read my book twice getting myself prepared making sure I'm tune in with all of the characters n of course luv getting the cheeky mode going eh plz, I cannot take this anticipation…
first of all i wanted to tell you how captivated i was with your book! great read, i literally couldn't put it down. secondly, reading this piece from 'when water burns' was exciting although it had me a little confused. seeing as i just finished the last chapter from telesa tonight, it's still fresh in my mind the section from p.g. 408 (paperback) which says "With bated breath, I realized what the others had known all along. My mother's powers were eclipsed by another. Salamasina's words resounded in my mind, when a leader ages, her powers weaken.." It's a little contradictory to "The more a telesa used her gifts, the stronger she became. The older a telesa, the more potent her gifts." i thought nafanua was 100+ years old? having said that, i LOVED this story so much which is the only reason why i thought i'd make this comment.
Comments are closed.